History

The Hamilton Township Municipal Authority (HTMA) was created in 1971 by the Hamilton Township Board of Supervisors and became an operating authority in 1981 under the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities act of 1945.  HTMA is a collection and conveyance sewer system, which gathers the used water from homes and businesses and conveys it to a wastewater treatment plant.  The collection system includes gravity sewers, force mains, manholes, pumping stations and equipment that collect and convey the wastewater to a wastewater treatment plant.  HTMA’s system serves approximately 3,970 residential customers and 125 businesses or commercial accounts.  HTMA’s system includes approximately 73 miles of sewer lines, 14 pumping stations, and approximately 1,200 manholes.  Through an Intermunicipal Agreement all wastewater is conveyed to the Borough of Chambersburg’s wastewater treatment plant for sewage treatment.  HTMA’s current capacity allocation with the Borough of Chambersburg is 2.0 million gallons per day (MGD); HTMA’s 2018 average daily flow was 964,627 gallons per day (GPD).