Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • What Services Do You Provide?

The Hamilton Township Municipal Authority (HTMA) provides public sewer service only.

  • What are your office hours?

Our office hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 Am to 4:00 PM.

  • How often will I receive a bill?

HTMA issues bills monthly.  Bills are printed and mailed out as close to the end of the month as possible so that you should receive your bill the first of each month.  The billing would reflect the previous month’s service.  Please contact our office if you do not receive a bill by the 6th of each month.

  • Can I receive my monthly bill electronically via email?

Yes, you can.  You can sign up for E-billing on the customer portal or complete an E-Billing Authorization Form from our website.  You can also contact our office if you need help signing up for E-billing.  Once signed up, you will no longer receive a paper copy of the bill; however, you will receive an email when the bills are mailed.  You can access your bill to view, print and pay on our customer portal 24/7. 

  • Can I make a payment by phone with my credit or debit card?

Yes, HTMA offers the convenience of accepting MasterCard, Discover, American Express and Visa credit cards.  Call us at (717) 264-8959 to make a credit card payment by phone or visit our customer portal to make a credit card payment.  Please note that you must contact our office directly to make any sewer account credit card payments for $300.00 or more.   A convenience fee does apply for ALL credit card payments.

  • Does HTMA accept check payments over the phone?

NEW ... Effective 10/18/2021 we offer E-Check payments.  Although we can't complete them over the phone, we can assist you in making an E-Check payment.  It is a very simple process where we can email or text the transaction to you so that you can complete and approve the transaction or you can go on the customer portal through our website and make an E-Check payment yourself.  E-Checks incur a $2.00 fee per transaction which goes directly to the company processing the transaction.  You can also go on to the customer portal through our website and make an ACH payment using your checking/savings account.  This convenience is free of charge. 

  • I want to sign up for ACH or AutoPay, where payment automatically comes out of my account each month.  Do I have to use my checking account or can I use my credit card for the recurring payments?

Effective 10/18/2021, we can now accept AutoPay payments using a credit card or e-check; all credit card and e-check payments under $300.00 is subject to a $2.00 fee per transaction.  You can also sign up for AutoPay using a checking or savings account at no additional cost.

  • I am experiencing difficulty getting to HTMA’s customer portal to make my sewer payment.  Is there an easier way to ensure that I am accessing the correct customer portal?

Yes, please go through our website to access the customer portal.  There are several other Hamilton Townships in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Texas.  Accessing the customer portal through our website at: will help to ensure you are on the correct payment site. 

  • I own a property that I will be renting out, what do I do?

HTMA requires that all billings for residential accounts remain in the owner’s name and are mailed directly to the property owner as the owner of the property is ultimately responsible for the sewer charges.  You could forward the bill to the tenant or if you provide your tenant with the account information (account number and CID number) they can access the customer portal to view, print and pay bills.  If you choose to forward bills to your tenants for payment, please advise the tenant we can only accept cash payments from the property owners.  All remittances from anyone other than the property owner must be in the form of check, money order or credit card payment.

  • If I have a sewer odor inside my house, what should I do?

If you are experiencing a sewer odor inside your house, it is an indication there is a problem with your vents and/or trap.  If you have sewer facilities that aren’t used much, the water in the trap may have evaporated which allows the pipe to become a vent to the sewer.  As long as you do not have a break or clog in your line and sewer is not overflowing, you can try running water through your sewer facilities.  If this does not resolve the problem, contact your plumber.

  • What should I know about my building sewer line?

             Know where your cleanouts are on your property for easy and quick access in the event of a sewer emergency.  Also make sure to keep the cleanout cap is easily accessible and not buried under the ground.