In the sewers there is a situation that is costing homeowners and your municipality thousands of dollars each year. Many communities refer to this problem simply as the FOG monster (Fats, oils, Grease) or the CLOG monster since it is the main cause of sewer clogs. A sewer backup can be a very stinky and costly mess! Our goal is to minimize the chance of this occurring. Only with the help of all residents can this be done. The worst culprit in clog formation is the combination of fats, oils and grease, known as FOG. FOG hardens as it flows down the sewer pipe and attaches to solids normally found in the sewers forming clumps. These clumps start to stick to the sides of the pipes and slow down the flow of sewage. The situation worsens until the pipe is clogged and sewage starts to back up in your house or in your yard! The result is a mess that no one wants! Fats, oils and greases are usually byproducts of cooking. The easiest way to help prevent backups and sewage overflows is to keep FOG out of the system.
Learn about the Fat Trapper and our “Cease the Grease” program.
If you are interested, you can purchase a unit for $2.50 at our office; the bags are .45 each.
Here’s what you can do to help:
- Do not pour oil, grease, or fats down the drain.
- Soak up the grease after frying with paper towels and put in the trash.
- Pour larger amounts of used cooking grease into a container with a lid. Refrigerate to harden, and then place in the trash. (Great way to recycle containers from take-outs.)
- Minimize the use of your garbage disposal. Put food scraps into the garbage.
- Never pour motor oils down the drain! This is illegal.
Put the FOG monster on a fat-free diet and whole community will benefit.